Friday, August 29, 2008


So here are the chargers I bought for my EV. They were $100 off eBay for all eight of them, including shipping. The are Schumacher SC-600A SpeedCharger 6 AMP smart chargers. While 6 AMPs isn't a whole lot, I am worried about plugging in every where and not blowing circuits or fuses. If these do not provide enough charge, I will build a high amp quick charger for the extra boost in power.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Plate Cutting

OK, so I have LOTS of progress. I have spent most of the week working on my part checklist on the plates. I have about half of the entire plate system done and still hoping to get the rest done this weekend. I was hoping to get the car moving this weekend, but I dont have my batteries or battery racks yet.

Now this hole isn't perfectly round because we used a sawz-all on it. A machine shop would have been the best way, but the reality is it would probably take a few weeks to get it machined, and it would cost money that I don't have.

Oh, and I also bought eight Schumacher SC-600A chargers and tomorrow I will post pictures of them. I have one for each battery, and they will charge at 6 AMPS.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Plate Progress

I finally got out the blasted drill bit! I ended up buying a new bit to continue the drilling while figuring out the removal of the bit. I will be away this weekend so I won't be able to do anything until Monday. My hope is to get the car moving by next weekend, but there is a lot to do before that will happen.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's all in the Details

Just when you think you solved all the hard parts, something else comes along and reminds you of why not many people attempt these kind of projects. Last night we drilled four holes and today I planned on drilling out the spacers. Well, about 1 inch into the spacer the bit got stuck. That was 6 hours ago. It's still stuck in there.
So my options are: 1) wait for my dad to get home and find a way to get it out, 2) Bring it to the machine shop with my pride jammed in a little tic-tac box, 3) blast it out with a model rocket engine (well, might not work but would be sweet to watch) and 4) scrap both of them and get a new bit and a new spacer.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008


I bought 8 Schumacher SC-600A chargers on eBay today. They are 6 amp smart chargers, while not the fastest thing in the world, it will get me started. My budget (pocket mulah) is getting low, and I picked these up nice and cheap at $100 for all 8 inlcuding shipping.

Today I also build another controller circuit, this time using a PIC processor and a 16 KHz frequency so it can't be heard. My other controller used a discrete hardware setup, but had an audible 2 KHz frequency. I will keep the old board in the gloved compartment as a backup in case anything goes awry...

Tonight my dad and I drilled a few 1/2 inch holes in the motor adapter plate to see how easy it is, and it was a breeze. Tomorrow I will mark up all the bolt holes on the larger plates and drill those, and also drill the holes in the spacers. It's coming together really fast and I might just have the motor in on Monday since I will be going away this weekend.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Metal Mayhem

I admit, I have been slacking in my updating of this site in the past weeks. I have significant progress tho! The gas tank is out, I have the rear battery rack designed on it's at the welder and I have gotten my coupler and small plate!

Here I have the motor mounted to the small plate and the couper attached to the motor and flex plate. The plate and the spacers are having 1/2 inch holes drilled in them and then I have to work on the larger plates.

And here is the rear battery rack laid out in the driveway. It will be going over the spare tire compartment, as close to the rear wheels as possible for the best weight distrobution. The rack will hold 5 batteries, and I will have three maybe, four in the front depending on what fits once the motor is in. When I get it back from the welder, I am going to paint it so it won't rust and so i t will look decent when I show off the car to people.
Now I am doing the final cleaning out of the car, removing excess small plates/heat shields, gas lines and a basic washing on the interior. I removed the rear seats to get to the gas tank, so I have to put those back in.
I am hoping to have the motor mounted into the car this week, but we will see. Once the motor is in, I can have everything wired in a day. Then all I will need is the batteries, chargers and front battery rack.

Monday, August 4, 2008


I stopped by the machine shop today and the coupler looks great! All that is left is two alignment/strength pins and the bolts to be bought. It should be done soon, then I can get going on the final plates.

I also have been working on th electrical system for the EV. All the normal electrical systems are working and I am figuring out which wires I will use to the contactor/ignition setup.